The industries of coal mining and railroading helped build the town of Madrid, Iowa, which incorporated in 1883. Just 23 years later, Madrid Home Communities was born.
On Sept. 13, 1906, Sister Kristin Monson opened Iowa Lutheran Home for the Aged, what became commonly referred to as the Old Peoples’ Home. Temporarily housed in rented quarters, the home could accommodate only a few guests.
In May 1908, ground was broken for a 3,200 square foot facility that could provide care for 28 persons.
Since then, the former Iowa Lutheran Home has gone through many transitions, including a devastating fire in January 1948 that forced residents and staff to relocate to Camp Dodge. The community and other supporters rallied to build. In November of that same year, ground was broken for a new building.
Reorganization in the 1970's changed a strictly Lutheran home to an ecumenical organization with support from 27 area churches of various denominations. This monumental step has allowed us to open the doors in our 3 campuses to serve more people, and paving the way for a full continuum of care: independent living, assisted living, skilled rehabilitation care, nursing care, short-term stays and respite care.